> > Baie-Comeau Cruises Celebrates its 10th anniversary!

February 23, 2016

Baie-Comeau Cruises Celebrates its 10th anniversary!

Baie-Comeau, February 22nd, 2016 – Baie-Comeau Cruises began operations back in 2006 with the arrival of Fred Olsen Cruise Lines’ Black Watch. Since then, no fewer than 43,891 cruise guests and crew members have stopped over in Baie-Comeau. In the last ten years, 13 different ships from 8 cruise lines have visited Baie-Comeau a total of 43 times. The Baie-Comeau port of call is undergoing constant growth and has carved out a place for itself in the Canada/New England market. In 2008, it joined the Cruise the Saint Lawrence Association as one of nine international ports of call in the St. Lawrence.

Through its activities, Baie-Comeau Cruises has helped develop and support the Manicouagan tourism industry, even benefitting more traditional land-based tourist attractions such as the Franquelin Lumberjack Village, the Church of St. Amelia, the Ship Wreck Museum and many more. Public investments have been made like the Garden of the Glaciers, the Cruise Pavilion, and the Town Centre ‘’Place La Salle’’. Furthermore, the Cruise the Saint Lawrence Association has implemented a provincial greeting policy aimed at giving cruise guests the warmest welcome in the world. The arrival of cruise ships has certainly been a great boon to the region’s economy.

2016 season

Baie-Comeau Cruises’ 10th season is looking quite promising. At least 8,866 cruise guests and crew members are expected to stop over at the port—13% more than in 2015. Eleven ship visits are scheduled, including an inaugural visit by Phoenix Reisen’s Amadea. “In total, Baie-Comeau and its Manicouagan partners should welcome at least 52,757 cruise guests and crew members from around the world at the end of 2016. That’s sure to benefit the region’s economy,” said Reina Savoie Jourdain, President of Baie-Comeau Cruises. We are also delighted to have the opportunity to welcome a German Cruise Line again—that’s a new market for Baie-Comeau. We will be welcoming this cruise line for a second consecutive year. They had a great experience last year. Moreover, on September 15th, for the first time in Baie-Comeau Cruises’ history, two ships will be coming into port at the same time. The two ships—the Seabourn Quest and the Pearl Mist.

Together with Tourisme Québec and the Baie-Comeau community, Baie-Comeau Cruises is also working on different improvement projects to highlight our beautiful St. Lawrence River.

A growing market

The cruise industry is booming all over the world, and the St. Lawrence is no exception. The international cruise industry has been expanding steadily in the St. Lawrence, growing by 16% a year on average. About 70% of cruise guests arrive from the United States and the other 30% from markets like the United Kingdom, France, and Italy.

We will continue to work with local partners to maximize economic benefits in the region. These partners include Tessier & Desgagnés Ltd, Commerce International Côte Nord, Taxis Unis Baie-Comeau, Autobus Manic, Place La Salle merchants, tourist attractions, and cultural organizations. It was also thanks to partners such as our marine agencies, Ramsey Greig & Cie Ltd and McLean Kennedy, and our tour operators, Destinations North America and Zeste Incentive, that we were able to contribute to growth in the Manicouagan region. We will continue to work with them to improve the cruise experience and maximize economic benefits.

Baie-Comeau Cruises is a non-profit organization whose mission is to promote and develop the various tourist attractions and businesses of Baie-Comeau and the Manicouagan region and to operate an international port of call to help raise Baie-Comeau’s profile in international markets.



Source:         Karine Blais, Baie-Comeau Cruises Coordinator
                     418-296-0182, ext. 227

Subscribe Register to receive the CSLA newsletter.
© Cruise the Saint Lawrence Association 2012 - 2020 Bonjour Québec Canada Economic Development