Following are answers to the questions most frequently asked of us:
1. What is the average duration of a cruise on the Saint Lawrence?
The average duration of a cruise on the Saint Lawrence is 10 days. While some are of only 7 days’ duration, Atlantic crossings can extend for up to 30 days.
2. How does one book a cruise?
The best way to book a cruise is through a travel agent. Travel specialists are well poised to suggest the cruise options best suited to one’s needs. However, it is also possible to book directly with cruise lines either online or by telephone.
3. Where does one begin one’s cruise on the Saint Lawrence?
There are 2 ports of embarkation on the Saint Lawrence, namely Québec and Montréal. It is also possible to embark in either New York or Boston and terminate one’s cruise in Québec or Montréal depending upon cruise line and cruise itinerary.
4. Why is it necessary for international cruise ships to visit two countries?
In Canada, the Coasting Trade Act requires that passenger ships visit at least two countries.
5. On average, how much time do passengers have to visit a town or city when in port?
Average time in port is between 7 and 8 hours, but can vary depending upon cruise line and cruise itinerary.
6. Where on the Saint Lawrence does one go for whale watching?
Cruise the Saint Lawrence promotes whale watching at a number of ports of call that welcome international cruise ships. Excursions are organized by independent shore providers and are of several hours’ duration. To learn more, check out the following website:
7. Are one-day cruises on the Saint Lawrence a possibility?
To qualify as a cruise, the cruise itinerary must include one night or more aboard ship. One-day cruise formats are generally referred to as leisure tours or excursions. To learn more about leisure tours and excursions, check out the following website:
8. Are multiple-day cruises on the Saint Lawrence a possibility?
Two Canadian-based cruise lines operate itineraries to a number of different Saint Lawrence ports of call. To learn more, check out the following websites:
1. What is the Welcome Policy?
In 2013, Cruise the Saint Lawrence instituted a Greeting Policy with the aim of becoming the destination with the best welcome in the world. Greeting policy content extends to greeting infrastructure, customer service, virtual greeting tools and security.
2. How does one go about welcoming cruise ship passengers into one’s shop or business?
There are two different ways of welcoming cruise ship passengers into one’s shop or business. The first involves cruise ship passengers purchasing excursions aboard their cruise ship. Excursions, organized by local tour operators, make several stops at different tourist attractions. The second involves independent cruise ship passengers disembarking without having purchased any local excursions and touring on their own. To learn more, sign up for a Bienvenue training session.